• Bedbugs are small, oval insects that suck blood from humans or animals. They can live in any type of furniture but are most commonly found in beds.
How did I get bed bugs?
• There are many ways to get bed bugs if you travel allot they can hitchhike their way onto your luggage and into your home or if you live in multi unit housing such as an apartment they can travel from one unit to the other. They can also be found in used furniture.
What do bed bugs look like?
• Bed bugs have flat oval shaped bodies and are wingless. Their bodies are brown in color but they become red after feeding. They are visible with the naked eye as they’re about the size of an apple seed.
What do bed bugs eat?
• Bed bugs feed exclusively on blood the blood of humans.
What do bed bug bites look like?
• Blood spots found on one’s sheets, are some of the signs of bites. Bites are commonly found on the parts of the body that are normally not covered during sleep such as hands, neck, face, shoulders, legs and arms. Bites look similar to mosquito bites and are often grouped together in a small area and at times may occur in a line or a zigzag pattern. Bed bug bite reactions after you’re bitten and may take a few days to begin causing symptoms.
How do I get rid of a bed bug infestation?
Getting rid of bed bugs is pretty complicated if done incorrectly they can run to nearby clutter and hide making the problem worse.
• Anything removed from the room should be placed in a sealed plastic bag and treated.
• Items that cannot be treated should be placed in a sealed plastic bag and left for an extended period of time to ensure any active bugs are dead (sometimes this can be as long as a year).
• Empty vacuums after use
• Seal the bag and throw it out in an outdoor trash container.
• There is no need to discard furniture if you can eliminate the bed bugs from it.
• If furniture cannot be saved, discard it responsibly. So no one else picks it up we suggest using spray paint to spray the words bed bugs on it so no one picks it up
• Take steps to remove the furniture as soon as possible by calling a disposal company. What can I do before and after treatment?
After you have cleared your house of the clutter give ALLPEST a call for treatment. It may take several treatments to kill the bed bugs so we suggest after treatment to do the following
• Move the bed at least 6 inches away from the wall.
• Place bed-bug-proof covers (often called encasements) on your mattress and boxspring (available in home stores or online).
• Make sure all bedding is tucked under mattress avoid touching the floor
• Place bed bug interceptors under each leg of the bed (available in home stores or online). Keep the interceptors for at least a year - they will be important to your post-control monitoring efforts.
• Remove anything under the bed o Store in the same room to avoid spreading the infestation. o Inspect and clean or discard as appropriate.